World Best Banana Cake Recipe – Ever!!!!
I love all things banana – and they are very good for you too. They are rich in potassium and magnesium, both nutrients that help you sleep. In addition, they also contain L-tryptophan which converts to 5-HTP in the brain which then converts to serotonin and melatonin – both of which help you sleep.
But – even more than that – bananas taste great especially in cooking. I really love moist, yummy easy to make banana bread – doesn’t everybody? But, when I found this recipe for banana cake, I feel like I hit the goldmine. This cake is very easy to make and is lighter and fluffier than banana bread. In addition, for those who have a problem with gluten, it is quite good baked with alternative flours.
When my son was young, he was allergic to both wheat and to corn. So, this was always my go to birthday cake for him. Instead of using powdered sugar (which contains cornstarch), I would grind sugar in a blender and make coffee icing. Talk about a yummy combination – it was always a happy birthday with banana cake and coffee icing. Usually, I bake the banana cake in a rectangular cake pan, but it will do just fine as a round two layer cake or moist cupcakes.
The use of both baking powder and baking soda make it extra light – and even better, it cooks super fast. I have baked it in electric, natural gas and propane gas ovens and it comes out great every time.
So without further discussion, here is the recipe:
World Best Banana Cake Ever
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 1/2 C suger
- 1/2 C shortening (I have used butter, lard, even olive oil and it works fine)
- 1 C mashed ripe bananas
- 2/3 C buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 3-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 t instant coffee
- 1/2 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Beat together shortening and white sugar until combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Add vanilla and buttermilk. Mix on high until light and fluffy (almost the texture of frosting).
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to egg mixture stirring just until combined. (Do not over mix).
- Fold in bananas.
- Dump into prepared pan – it will be pretty thick – and spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Put cake into the oven.
- Bake 30-35 minutes (see note below) or just until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not over bake).
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together butter & cream cheese until fluffy.
- Blend in milk and instant coffee
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time until you reach desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
This is a fast cake to put together and one that I am sure will be a mainstay at your home once you have tried it. You will find that it goes together fast and tastes fantastic. When you bake it, be sure to let me know how it turns out!